My Take on Shea Moisture Hair Products

Since this week Walgreens is having a Buy One Get One on Shea Moisture products I thought it was a good time to do a review since I use quite a few of their products.

While transitioning back to natural hair moisture is key.  You are dealing with two different textures which if not taken care of properly can result in a lot of breakage. Lack of moisture will definitely add to possible breakage. A friend of mine introduced me to the Shea Moisture Collection at Target and I absolutely love it!

Shea Moisture products are all natural and cost $9.99 each. While some may think that is a bit much for a product it is actually reasonable for an all natural product. Particularly, one that does what it says.  Generally with She Moisture products a little goes a long way so on average a bottle can last 2-3 months easy. Originally they were exclusive to Target but, over the next month they will be carried in all Walgreen stores. They are great for both natural and relaxed hair.

There are three lines within the collection and I have tried products in two of those lines.  Their collection is now a staple in my hair regimen. No matter how many other products I try I always end up back to Shea Moisture – and I have tried quite a few.

While transitioning I used Shea Moisture Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo to help add curl to my hair. This has been my staple shampoo ever since.  The bottle is small but has lasted longer than other shampoos I use. It lathers very nicely and does not take much to do so.  The shampoo enhanced the curl of my new growth as well as a little “wave” to my relaxed hair which was great with my twistouts. As with all their products, it leaves my hair soft and filled with moisture.

I use Shea Moisture Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk as a moisture product.  It adds sheen and moisture and I find it to be more successful when using on wet hair and in combination with other products.

My favorite product in the collection is Shea Moisture Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie. As with most of the products in their line they can be used for many purposes.  I started out using this product with twistouts. I have actually tried a few products to help define and hold my twist and always end up back with the smoothie.  Although I wish the smoothie had more of a hold, I do like my twistouts and the softness and shine this product gives my hair.  I do not like the hard feeling that gels, and some other products, give my twists so I much rather twist a little more often than to leave my hair feeling “crunchy”. The smoothie also adds some thickness to my twist which when I still had relaxed hair was great. Since becoming completely nature I have also used this product for added moisture on a daily basis and my hair never feels dry and the smell is great!. In my opinion, the only downfall to this product is the lack of hold if you are using for twist and/or braidouts.

Next up, Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque. After my success with the coconut & hibiscus line and reading many reviews I decided to give this line a try.  I use this for my deep conditioner and LOVE it.  I usually leave it on for about 30-45 minutes and it leaves my hair extremely soft I and can’t say enough about the MOISTURE!!!

And the last of the collection that I currently use - Shea Moisture Yucca & Baobob Volumizing Conditioner. Initially, I started using this as my rinse out conditioner to help add thickness and volume to my hair while I was transitioning.  It worked well but since the above masque works so well as a deep conditioner I decided to use the volumizing conditioner as my leave in. It does give me somewhat fuller hair and gives me the moisture and shine just as the other products do.

There are other products in the Shea Moisture line and I am sure with this weeks BOGO sale I will end up trying a few more.  They are reasonably priced which we all know is an extra added benefit.

We all know just because my hair loves it others may not. However, I do hope I have given those who have had some “curiosity” about the line some useful information.

I give Shea Moisture 5 out of 5 Afro Picks……

14 thoughts on “My Take on Shea Moisture Hair Products

1. NaturallyMe
    March 30, 2011 at 4:12 PM

@Krischa Would love to see the pics!! I am glad you like the products.

1. March 30, 2011 at 6:07 PM

I posted them on FB on the “I love my kinky natural hair” page

2. March 29, 2011 at 3:58 PM

I have been reading about BOGO…I need to go and try these products. My hair likes Shea butter. I use all natural for my scalp and hair and I use Suave naturals with shea butter conditioner. I think I’m going to try the shampoo and curl enhancing smoothie! Thank you!

1. NaturallyMe
      March 29, 2011 at 4:10 PM

I use Suave Almond & Shea for my co-washes – it’s great. I plan to do a review on that as well. YES you must try the Shea Moisture products. They are so versatile with what you can use them for. I stocked up – 4 smoothies so far and a raincheck for more :) You don’t need to use much and the products have a 2 year shelf life so I am going to be good for awhile. Come back and let me know your thoughts when you try the products.

1. March 29, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Will do! I’m getting kinky twists on Friday, would the curl enhancing smoothie be good for that?

1. NaturallyMe
          March 30, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Yes. It will definitely help maintain some moisture while you have those in.

1. March 30, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Thanks! Bought and used the smoothie and style milk! Love them both. I’m going to post pics on the results!

2. March 30, 2011 at 3:54 PM

i actually bought the smoothie and the hold and shine moisture mist…

3. Cas
    March 28, 2011 at 10:46 PM

I participated in the BOGO today & walked away with the smoothie, restoring conditioner, treatment masque & purification masque! ;p But I read your blog when you first put it up and that’s why I had to run out and get some as soon as I could! :) Thanks for the assistance!
    Can’t wait to try them out! :-)

1. NaturallyMe
      March 28, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Glad I could be of assistance :) . Let me know how you like the products

4. ashley
    March 28, 2011 at 9:01 PM

I forgot how I ran across your blog, but glad I did. I’m transitioning as well, and find it frustrating with the breakage and lack of moisture. I picked up my buy one get one free today. I wasn’t able to choose which line/product because of the neighborhood Walgreens is in (predominantly white)they weren’t stocked. I just tried the curl enhancing smoothie, and I like it. It’ll def. go a long way.

1. NaturallyMe
      March 28, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Glad you found the information helpful. Transitioning is definitely frustrating but stick with it – it is worth it! The smoothie is great I will be stocking up myself all week! I would love to hear what other information you would find helpful while transitioning.

5. Robin
    March 28, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Thank you for sharing! I wrote down what each product is used for for and how to use it. I’m currently on the natural hair journey. Found this information very valuable.

1. NaturallyMe
      March 28, 2011 at 9:03 AM

First congratulations on hair journey! I am glad you found this information useful and would love to hear what other topics you may be interested in seeing on TruCHATonline.